Low Blood Sugar Fix
I am assuming that since you are reading this, that you must be diabetic, and that you must know what low blood sugar feels like? You must also 14 know what to do for a low blood sugar fix.
Your blood sugar might not get so low that you would even notice it. Low blood sugar is also called “low blood glucose” and “hypoglycemia”. It is measured at 70 mg/dL or less.
Low blood sugar can happen due to your not eating a correct diet or changes in your eating, exercise, or medication habits. Here you will learn what a low blood sugar fix is.
Common symptoms of low blood sugar are:
- Getting hungry very suddenly
- Feeling your heart beat very fast
- Looking pale or having wet skin
- Feeling dizzy, sweaty, shaky, tired or faint.
If you find that you are feeling any of these low blood sugar symptoms, check your blood sugar. If you are in a place where you cannot check it, then just assume that it is low and follow the rule of 15s below. The rule of 15s is actually your low blood sugar fix.
If you are able to test it and you find that your blood sugar is 70 mg/dL, you know now that it is low and it is time to follow the blood sugar fix or the rule of 15s below!
With any of the above warning signs, here is the 15s rule to implement and follow!
The Rule of 15s (low blood sugar fix):
Eat or drink a 15 gram fast-acting sugar snack. After you ingest the 15 gram sugar snack, recheck your blood sugar in 15 minutes.
List 1: FAST ACTING SUGAR SNACKS TO TREAT LOW BLOOD SUGAR (each choice contains 15 grams of carbohydrate)
- 3 to 4 glucose tablets
- One 15 gram tube of glucose gel
- 4 sugar packets
- 5 to 7 Lifesavers
- 4 to 6 ounces of fruit juice
- 2 tablespoons of raisins
- 1 tablespoon of honey or corn syrup
- 6 to 8 ounces of skim milk
- one-half can of a regular soft drink (not diet)
IF AFTER YOUR LOW BLOOD SUGAR FIX, YOU RECHECK YOUR GLUCOSE OR BLOOD SUGAR LEVEL AND YOU FIND THAT:
- Your blood sugar is now above 70 mg/dL, but you are not due to eat a meal within one hour, eat a balanced snack from list 2 below.
- If your blood sugar remains at 70 mg/dL or less, have another 15 gram fast acting sugar snack from list 1 above. Then recheck your blood sugar in 15 minutes.
- If your blood sugar is now above 70 mg/dL, and you are not due to eat a meal within one hour, eat a balanced snack from list 2 below.
- If your blood sugar remains 70 mg/dL or less, get medical care immediately.
List 2: BALANCED SNACKS TO KEEP YOUR BLOOD SUGAR ABOVE 70 MG/DL. (each one has 15 grams of carbohydrate with protein)
- One-half meat sandwich
- 6 to 8 ounces of light yogurt
- 1/2 cup refried beans with salsa
- 1 cup chili
- 1 hard cooked egg with 1 slice toast
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup cottage cheese with 1/2 cup cut-up fruit
- 1 ounce string cheese with 3 cups popcorn
- 1 ounce cheese or meat with 4 to 6 Triscuits or whole-grain crackers
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter on 3 graham cracker squares
If you find that you cannot get your blood sugar under control (above 70 mg/dL), it will be necessary for you to seek the advice of a physician, in the nearest emergency room post haste.
I hope that by posting this today, I have given some helpful TIPS that you can use. Take care and as always, we love reading your comments down below!